QUARRY RESOURCE EFFICIENCY Demonstration Project
The QuaResE main aim is the demonstration of alternative methods for the production of bricks, ceramics and cement with the use of waste quarry slurry as raw material thus, achieving and promoting resource efficiency as an environmental management tool that deals with production procedures and behavioral modifications to achieve an augment in product value and decrease environmental impacts. The proposed project targets the following various issues:
- IMPROVE the waste management of quarry waste slurry
- LIMIT the GHG emissions produced by the brick/ceramic and cement industries
- MINIMIZE the environmental impacts associated with the extraction of virgin raw material for the brick/ceramic and cement industries
- EMPOWER the economic performance of the quarry, brick/ceramic and cement industries
- PROMOTE the currently poor resource efficiency of the quarry, brick/ceramic and cement industries
Project Aims and Objectives
- Implementation and promotion of the key EU environmental policies of sustainable development and resource efficiency
- Implementation and promotion of the "Resource-Efficient Europe-Flagship Initiative" under the Europe 2020 Strategy
- Implementation and promotion of the "top" levels of the waste hierarchy
- Implementation, demonstration and assessment of resource efficiency in the use of raw materials and waste management
- Demonstration of alternative methods and instruments in the use of raw materials for the production of bricks/ ceramics and cement and also the management of quarry waste slurry
- Assessment of the way the implementation of resource efficiency can have a benefit to the environment
- Promotion of resource efficiency as an environmental management tool
- Benefit of the country's environment by the application of proper management of waste quarry slurry
- Creating the background for significant reduction in the Country's CO2 emissions
State-of- the Art and Innovative Aspects
- The development and demonstration of a new waste management procedure for the waste quarry slurry. This new procedure will provide solutions to the quarry industry which faces significant problems in managing the vast quantities of slurry waste produced by their operations. It will also allow for better environmental protection and it will turn a significant cost into a new source of revenue for the quarry industries.
- The development and demonstration of a “new” state-of-the-art production procedure for the clay brick/tile and cement industries that will allow for limitation in the requirements of virgin raw material, reduction in operational costs and reduction in GHG emissions while at the same time achieving a decrease in the environmental footprint of the industries.
- Report on current quarry slurry waste management, cement and clay brick/tile production
- Financial, Social and Environmental assessment of the implementation of resource efficiency in the cement and clay brick/tile industry as well as quarry slurry waste management
- a "Quarry Slurry Best Available Technique for the use in the cement and clay brick/tile industry“
- a "Resource Efficiency Guide by the use of quarry slurry in the clay brick/tile industry“
- a "Resource Efficiency Guide by the use of quarry slurry in the cement industry"
Environmental Problem Targeted
- Quarries in Cyprus produced approximately 1.2 million tones of slurry (2008).
- Quarry Slurry Production Site disposal (100%).
- Quarry slurry represents approximately 70% of the total wastes produced from queries.
- Brick/tile and cement industries especially in Cyprus are the most CO2 emitting industries.
- The average contribution of CaCO3 content raw material in the CO2 emission of the clay brick/tile industry is approximately 46% according to a CO2 emission analysis for 2008 and 2009 of a chosen Cypriot clay brick/tile factory (United Brickworks Ltd).
- The country's cement factory contributes about 10% of Cyprus' total CO2 emissions.
- If the proposed project is successful and after that all quantities of quarry slurry could be utilized in other industries 2,000,000 m2 of land will be dispensed.
- Energy consumption reduction for United Brickworks will reach about 25%, noise and dust produced reduction.
A reduction of energy usage for the mill and the breaker by approximately 50% (approximate saving 2.65MWh) for Vassiliko Cement Works Ltd.